Table of Contents
Kraken is a United States-based cryptocurrency exchange and bank, founded in 2011. The exchange provides trading between cryptocurrency and fiat currencies, and provides price information to Bloomberg Terminal.
Kraken is backed by investors including, Money Partners Group, Hummingbird Ventures, Blockchain Capital, and Digital Currency Group, among others.
- 9+ million customers across 60 countries [Apr 2022]
- 1800+ employees
- Ranked #4 amongst top cryptocurrency spot exchanges on CoinMarketCap (Nov 2021)
- Kraken agreed to close its staking operations in USA to settle charges with the US federal entity, agreeing to pay a $30 million penalty [Feb 2023]
- Complaint by SEC on Kraken alleging it sold unregistered securities via its Staking service found here
- Launch of Kraken Pro [Dec 2022]
- advanced web interface that integrates spot, margin trading, staking, and portfolio management
- Licenced by Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM) to operate a regulated virtual asset exchange platform in the financial free zone [Apr 2022]
- first global virtual assets exchange group in the United Arab Emirates to receive a full financial licence from the ADGM
- Kraken Acquires Staking Platform Staked [Dec 2021]
- Staked enables investors in proof-of-stake networks to easily and securely compound their holdings
- acquisition enables a non-custodial alternative to the company’s existing custodial staking service.
- market cap of the top 30 proof-of-stake assets reached an all-time high of $594 billion during the Q3 2021, according to a report by Staked.
Presence in Singapore
Unknown. Positions available on LinkedIn for Singapore are all remote positions.
Their LinkedIn page indicates presence in the following cities:
- San Francisco (Headquarters)
- Abu Dhabi
Regulation by Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS)
Trust through Transparency
Kraken holds full reserves, and employs an independent, cryptographically-verified audit in order to prove to third parties, including customers, that customer funds are properly held.
These Proof of Reserves audits are conducted regularly to give clients assurance that balances held on Kraken are truly backed by real assets.
Access to platform
Trade multiple crypto exchanges from a single platform
Cryptowatch is a Kraken-owned premium trading terminal that provides real-time cryptocurrency market data, charting and trading services for over 25 cryptocurrency exchanges.
Check out the list of supported exchanges and how to connect to them.
Kraken supports staking of crypto assets to earn interest.
Benefits of On-chain staking on Kraken versus staking on other platforms:
- Start earning rewards instantly — no waiting or bonding periods (other than ETH2)
- Payouts twice a week
- ADA, ETH, FLOW and SOL will payout weekly.
- One of the highest returns in the industry
- Stake your assets in just three clicks from your Kraken balances
- Instant un-staking
- Only FLOW.S can be unstaked by Kraken clients whilst FLOWH.S will be unstaked automatically by Kraken as it periodically becomes available for unstaking on the network.
Short 1 minute video on how to earn by taking part in Parachain Auctions on Kraken.
If you are interested in the technical details of Parachain Auctions, you can watch the following video (~40 minutes):
If you prefer to read, visit: https://www.kraken.com/learn/parachain-auctions
Launched in December 2022, a new advanced web interface that integrates spot, margin trading, staking, and portfolio management.
✔️ Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
Security of Funds
95% of all deposits are kept in offline, air-gapped, geographically distributed cold storage.
Usage Notes and Tips
Error popup during KYC Process
I encountered an error popup saying ‘processing failed’ on Kraken’s website after uploading my ID during the KYC process. Nevertheless, after ~20 minutes, I received an email saying my account has been verified.